Holy shitballs! The 2022 Ditmar Awards shortlists have just been released and I’m there TWICE! I am genuinely so happy to see The Gulp as a finalist in Best Collected Work and Ghost Recall as a finalist in Best Novella or Novelette. What a thrill. This makes 10 nominations for a Ditmar across my career, but I’ve yet to win one. Maybe this year? Regardless, it genuinely is an honour and a privilege to be a finalist. The full list is below:
- All the Murmuring Bones, A.G. Slatter, Titan Books.
- The Bridge, J.S. Breukelaar, Meerkat Press.
- The Councillor, E.J. Beaton, DAW Books.
- A Marvellous Light, Freya Marske, Tor.
- Papa Lucy & The Boneman (Books of Before & Now 1), Jason Fischer, Outland Entertainment.
- The Rose Daughter, Maria Lewis, Hachette Australia/Little Brown Books.
- She Who Became the Sun, Shelley Parker-Chan, Tor.
Best Novella or Novelette
- “Ariadne, I Love You”, J. Ashley-Smith, in Ariadne, I Love You, Meerkat Press.
- “Dirty Heads”, Aaron Dries.
- “Ghost Recall”, Alan Baxter, in Ghost Recall (Eli Carver 3), Grey Matter Press.
- “The Little One”, Rebecca Fraser, in Coralesque and other tales to disturb and distract, IFWG Publishing Australia.
- “A Vast Silence”, T.R. Napper, in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, November/December 2021.
Best Short Story
- “A Good Big Brother”, Matt Tighe, in Spawn: Weird Tales of Pregnancy, Birth and Babies, IFWG Australia.
- “Goon of Fortune”, Geneve Flynn, in Midnight Echo 16.
- “The House That Hungers”, Maria Lewis, in Aurealis No. 146, November 13 2021.
- “The King in Yella”, Kaaron Warren, in Under Twin Suns: Alternate Histories of the Yellow Sign, Hippocampus Press.
- “Legacy of the Species”, Pamela Jeffs, in The Terralight Collection, Four Ink Press.
- “A Whisper in the Death Pit”, Kyla Lee Ward, in Weirdbook 44, Wildside Press.
Best Collected Work
- Coralesque and Other Tales To Disturb and Distract, Rebecca Fraser, IFWG Publishing Australia.
- The Gulp, Alan Baxter, 13th Dragon Books, self-published.
- Relics, Wrecks & Ruins, Aiki Flinthart, CAT Press.
- The Terralight Collection, Pamela Jeffs, Four Ink Press.
- Tool Tales, Ellen Datlow and Kaaron Warren, IFWG Publishing Australia.
Best Fan Publication in Any Medium
- Earl Grey Editing, Elizabeth Fitzgerald.
- SF Commentary, Bruce Gillespie.
Best Fan Writer
- Kat Clay, for interviews and reviews on YouTube and katclay.com.
Best Fan Artist
- C.H. Pearce, for fanart on Instagram, including (Em and Gyre), (Lysande), (Cruelty Free), and (Rocket Launch Good).
Best New Talent
William Atheling Jr Award for Criticism or Review
- Eugen Bacon, for Aurealis Reviews (editor and reviews).
- Claire Fitzpatrick, for “How Mary Shelley Continues to Influence Modern Science Fiction”, in Aurealis 145.
- Ian Mond, for reviews in Locus.
- Andrew Nette and Iain McIntyre, for editing Dangerous Visions and New Worlds: Radical Science Fiction, 1950 to 1985, PM Press.
- Kyla Lee Ward, for “Vampire Poetry”, in Penumbra 2, Hippocampus Press.