Fifteen most frequently blogged words

August 8, 2007
By

If you were doing a bit of work experience at the Oxford University Press, you might think you were onto something pretty special. If you actually had a job there, you might be patting yourself on the back on a regular basis. But in further proof that no job is completely exempt from mind-numbing drudgery, the OUP has been conducting a study monitoring the use of the English language in the blogosphere.

While that might sound like an interesting exercise at first, think about it a bit more deeply and you’ll realise the horror that it actually is. Imagine having to read the diaries of every single teenage girl and socially unfortunate boy in the world. That’s not even close. The discerning eye will pick out the quality, well written, informative blog. Yes, of course, the quality, well written, informative blog like this one. You’re a discerning reader. But for every blog like this one, there are thousands of rambling losers, bemoaning their fate to the electronic universe in the desperate hope that someone might listen. And even if nobody listens, they just need to get it out anyway. Imagine monitoring the entire blogosphere (in as much as that is possible) and then imagine the ratio of dross to gold.

If you needed any proof, the OUP has released a list of the fifteen most frequently used words in blogdom:

blogger
blog
stupid
me
myself
my
oh
yeah
ok
post
stuff
lovely
update
nice
shit

With a list like that, no further explanation is needed.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a hypocrite. Mostly. I greatly appreciate what blogging and all associated activities are doing for the world. The opportunity for anyone to be heard if they have something to say is fantastic. The opportunity for the general public to comment on, and act as a part of, the media is a great advancement for everyone. But, just like cars give us the ability to get from place to place very easily and make distance no real issue, they also give morons an opportunity to prove what little brains they have by racing through suburban streets.

All advancement has drawbacks that occur through abuse or thoughtlessness. There will always be stupid people, selfish people, ignorant people. There will also be gold out among that dross.

Share and Enjoy:
  • digg Fifteen most frequently blogged words
  • delicious Fifteen most frequently blogged words
  • facebook Fifteen most frequently blogged words
  • stumbleupon Fifteen most frequently blogged words
  • linkedin Fifteen most frequently blogged words
  • myspace Fifteen most frequently blogged words
  • reddit Fifteen most frequently blogged words
  • slashdot Fifteen most frequently blogged words
  • technorati Fifteen most frequently blogged words
  • rss Fifteen most frequently blogged words
  • twitter Fifteen most frequently blogged words

10 Responses to Fifteen most frequently blogged words

1. Holly on August 8, 2007 at 7:01 pm

And you just wrote a post using…all of them. Why not words like “nuclear” and “plethora”? Okay, you used “dross.” You get points for that. I almost said “You get pints for that.” Whatever floats your boat. Points or pints – you choose!

2. Michael on August 8, 2007 at 8:19 pm

True, but then again in “high literature” the top 15 words won’t be too intellectual either I don’t think… Just the nature of word frequencies in language. Although stupid and lovely were a bland surprise.

3. alan on August 8, 2007 at 10:34 pm

I didn’t use them all unless you count the list itself! And I would imagine that “high literature” would feature fewer instances of me and myself, outside of dialogue, at least.

4. Holly on August 9, 2007 at 12:25 pm

Well, of course I’m counting the list, itself. You’re just propagating the whole thing (since we’re basing this solely on word frequencies, everyone who copies the list into a blog post perpetuates the mess). Doesn’t “high literature” include a lot of “whoa, dude, pass me that joint”? ;)

Do you realize I’m typing blind, here? Your librarything, thing, is covering up the left third of my screen…

5. James Frost on August 9, 2007 at 1:57 pm

I’m sure they didn’t actually read all the blogs by hand. Just write a quick ‘search bot’ and you’d have your answer after a couple of hours work (and a few days waiting for the results).

Now we can add the word ‘bot’ to the list on this page. Hrrr hrrr.

6. alan on August 9, 2007 at 4:33 pm

Holly, I think that’s a problem with your browser. I’m not getting any problems in Firefox or the Devil’s Own IE. But you’re right about perpetuating the frequency.

James, stop spoiling all the fun! Damn tech-heads.

7. Holly on August 10, 2007 at 5:14 am

I only get the problem from one computer, but I was on IE. I don’t think it’s just “user error” – it’s certainly not the browser. (Well, it may be, but I’m not having the problem with the same browser on another PC, so I’m thinking that’s not it. Whatever it was, that “LibraryThing” gadget was HUGE – the book covers took up a third of the screen and the whole thing overlaid the left side of the blog entries (to the right edge of the Submit Comment button – I could just barely see where that was, in order to submit a comment).

8. Holly on August 10, 2007 at 5:17 am

I think the problem is with certain “random book” cover images. Right now, I’m seeing The God of the Labyrinth, Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, and Dracula. The God of the Labyrinth is TWICE the size of the others. It’s not overlapping anything, but all it would take is one or two huge book cover images (not sure how that works, but that’s my guess – random oversized cover images).

9. Holly on August 10, 2007 at 5:19 am

Hah! Here’s proof it’s not me:

So there. :/

10. alan on August 10, 2007 at 2:55 pm

Well, I’m glad we sorted that out. ;)

This is actually a better link to the explanation. Giant covers error at Library Thing.