The Australian Shadows Awards finalists are in. These are an annual award presented by the Australian Horror Writers Association and judged on the overall effect – the skill, delivery, and lasting resonance – of a work of horror fiction written or edited by an Australian and published either in Australia or overseas.
The finalist for 2009 are (in alphabetical order):
* A Book of Endings by Deborah Biancotti (Twelfth Planet Press)
* Red Queen by H. M. Brown (Penguin Australia)
* “Wives” by Paul Haines (X6, Coeur de Lion Publishing)
* The Dead Path by Stephen M. Irwin (Hachette Australia)
* Slights by Kaaron Warren (Angry Robot)
* Grants Pass, edited by Jennifer Brozek & Amanda Pillar (Morrigan Books)
* Festive Fear, edited by Stephen Clark (Tasmaniac Publications)
* Aurealis #42, edited by Stuart Mayne (Chimaera Publications)
* “Six Suicides” by Deborah Biancotti (A Book of Endings)
* “The Emancipated Dance” by Felicity Dowker (Midnight Echo #2)
* “Busking” by Jason Fischer (Midnight Echo #3)
* “The Message” by Andrew J. McKiernan (Midnight Echo #2)
* “The Gaze Dogs of Nine Waterfalls” by Kaaron Warren (Exotic Gothic 3)
There are some truly excellent works in there by equally excellent writers. Best of luck to you all!